- There are more than 60 in-person and 5 online Parkinson’s Support Groups throughout NSW.
- They are run by local volunteers who are living with Parkinson’s or caring for a loved one who has the disease – and supported by Parkinson’s NSW staff.
- Groups offer peer support, shared advice based on personal experience, and information and resources provided by Parkinson’s NSW.
- Membership of Parkinson’s NSW or participation in a Support Group are not requirements for receiving services from this organisation.
- Need information or assistance, or want to be connected with your local Support Group? Phone the Parkinson’s NSW HealthLine on 1800 644 189 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What Is A Support Group?
A Support Group is a gathering of people who share similar experiences, situations or issues related to living with Parkinson’s or caring for someone who does.
One of Parkinson’s NSW’s most valuable and popular services is the development and coordination of a network of Parkinson’s Support Groups throughout metropolitan and regional NSW.
Parkinson’s Support Group participants can offer each other emotional and practical support. Getting together with other people who are facing similar challenges allows everyone to share feelings, resources, and experiences.
As well as providing benefits from the exchange of practical information, Support Groups also provide motivation and inspiration to help you deal positively with the ongoing changes to your lifestyle. They also give you a chance to meet new people, which helps to break down the feelings of isolation often associated with Parkinson’s.
Support Group Meetings range from open discussions to educational sessions by guest speakers, social outings or just sharing a cuppa. A Parkinson’s support group usually meets monthly.
Although Support Groups are defined by geography or area of interest, all are part of Parkinson’s NSW and are required to comply with the Constitution and Policies of the organisation.
Belrose Young Onset
Eastern Suburbs Young Onset
Hornsby & Hills
Nepean Blue Mountains
St George Sutherland
Coffs Harbour North (Young Onset)
Coffs Harbour South
Parkinson’s NSW Support Group Leaders
Parkinson’s Support Groups Online Community
DBS and Advanced Therapies
Young Onset Parkinson’s Group
For more information about these and any Support Groups please contact the HealthLine on 1800 644 189
If you would like further information on a Support Group near you then please call 1800 644 189 and ask to speak to the Support Group Coordinator