In August we sent an email to all Support Group Leaders asking them what’s on their minds? What concerns or needs do they have for their Groups?
Following is a consolidated summary of responses:
- We don‘t have the support of a Parkinson’s Specialist Nurse.
- Caregivers are bearing the brunt of the lockdown – no visitors and little contact with other family members.
- Lack of exercise and social opportunities due to COVID-19 lockdown. We feel isolated.
- Increase in anxiety due to COVID-19 lockdown.
- Less access to neurologists due to travel restrictions.
- We’re experiencing low numbers at meetings and our Group needs a reboot.
- Our Committee needs refreshing.
- Participants are unable to commit to a formal telephone tree to support one another.
- We miss the face time allowed by meeting in person.
- Formal meetings are just too hard at the moment, even though our area is not in lockdown. So we are limiting ourselves to coffee gatherings to maintain contact.
- Our meetings are continuing OK via Zoom – including having guest speakers.
- For a one-stop shop of information, support, and connection with support, call the Parkinson’s NSW InfoLine: 1800 644 189
The InfoLine can connect you with a Parkinson’s Specialist, Counsellor, NDIS experts, a Parkinson’s-specialised Personal Trainer, our Support Group Coordinator, and marketing specialists who can help your Group to grow.
It also maintains a database of Parkinsons-experienced Allied Health providers throughout NSW.
- Connect with one or many of our free, information-rich zoom sessions hosted by a variety of knowledgeable experts in their fields. Click here for a calendar of upcoming sessions.
- See also Parkinson’s NSW videos and recordings of Zoom meetings on our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ParkinsonsNSW
- Keep an eye on the Parkinson’s NSW COVID-19 web page here for the latest updates and advice.